RE: understanding guideline docs

Hi, Roberto. You wrote:

Discussing with an IWA/HWG EO Working Group representative, he said to
me that EO WG would prefer to change the title of understanding WCAG
2.0:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2006JanMar/0008.html

C. COMMENTS ON UNDERSTANDING WCAG 2.0

In general this document seems very helpful. However, EOWG participants
expressed concerns about the title and the organization of the document.

[Title of document] EOWG had lots of discussion about concerns about the
title of the document, and concerns about how the title might be
misconstrued. Concerns included:
- the title of the document should better convey that this document is
essential to read; "Understanding" implies something more reflective and
less essential to read.
- the title of the document may unnecessarily reinforce the notion that
WCAG 2.0 is incomprehensible.

Other titles to consider:
- The Essential Guide to WCAG 2.0
- A Guide to Meeting WCAG 2.0

Thanks for bringing this up.

I think the title "Understanding WCAG 2.0" is good for a couple of
reasons:
1. Like the proposed "Essential Guide," the title acknowledges that WCAG
2.0 isn't self-explanatory (there's no such thing as a complex technical
document that is self-explanatory!!)
2. It does *not* contain the word "guide." We specifically wanted to
avoid phrases like "guide to the guidelines."

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute