From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gv@trace.wisc.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:32 PM
To: Cynthia Shelly; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Issues from Microsoft

Hi Cynthia

Good comments.  Thanks.

Couple of notes / questions.

RE Issue #1 - Question to everyone - can you post any information you have on tools that address Cynthia's question/comment - so that we can be sure to log them and use them per comment below.

RE Issue #2 - Cynthia, can you say specifically what information is more specific and objective.  Would be great to capture that.  Better yet - can you provide a specific suggested edit for including that in the definition of audio description?   That would greatly increase our ability to consider it for inclusion.

RE Issue #3
 - 4.1.5 is not about ensuring they stay exposed really.  It is about making sure that AT know when some of the thousands of elements it can 'see' have changed or been deleted without having to keep checking each of them every second.
-   4.1.1 is a completely different topic from the rest of 4.1.x items.  So much so that we considered for awhile separating it.
- I just noticed that the wordings in your post below are not the currently proposed wordings  (see previous posting and the survey)  the new proposed wordings are pasted below for convenience.

Do these work better for you?

Gregg

{NOTE  I put Web Units in where they would now go replacing the old term}
4.1.1 Web Units<http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Web_Pages_%28including_Web_Applications%29&action=edit> can be parsed unambiguously and the relationships in the resulting data structure are also unambiguous.
4.1.2 For each user interface component in the content, the name<http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Name&action=edit>, role<http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Role&action=edit>, and all perceivable properties<http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Perceivable_properties&action=edit> can be programmatically determined<http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Programmatically_determined&action=edit>.
4.1.4 Content and properties of user interface components can be programmatically set<http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Programmatically_set&action=edit> directly to any values to which they can be set through the user interface.
Note: Some examples of standardized properties that typically can be changed by the user interface include its value, whether it is currently selected, and whether it currently has the focus.
4.1.5 Any changes to user interface components in the content can be programmatically determined<http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Programmatically_determined&action=edit> without having to compare current and past values to detect change.

Becky also suggested
4.1.4 Values for content and attributes of user interface components which can be set through the user interface can be set programmatically.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center