From: Kerstin Goldsmith [mailto:kerstin.goldsmith@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:57 AM
To: Gregg Vanderheiden
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Definition of baseline

Gregg,

What are we thinking a baseline will actually look like in written form?  In
other words, do we have examples to add to the definition/s below?  I think
that with examples we will be able to see if the proposed definition works,
or needs work.

Thanks!
-kerstin

Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

I am working on the glossary

I think the current definition of baseline is not quite correct and very
hard to decipher.

CURRENT DEFINITION

baseline

Set of technologies assumed to be supported by, and enabled in, user agents
in order for Web content to conform to these guidelines.

Note: Some examples of entities that may set baselines that an author may
have to follow include the author, a company, a customer and government
entities.

PROPOSE DEFINITION

baseline

set of technologies assumed to be supported by, and enabled in, user agents

NOTE 1: Baseline is used by authors to determine which technologies they can
assume are active when they build accessible content.

NOTE 2: Baseline is used by users to determine what technologies they must
have (and have turned on) in there user agents in order to have general
access to websites. (If specific websites specify what they "rely upon"
users can access those sites by simply having the technologies 'relied upon'
active in their user agents)

NOTE 3: Organizations or Governments can use Baselines to set reasonable
expectations (and limits on expectations) for what technologies their
constituents will need to have supported in their user agents.

NOTE 4: Some examples of entities that may set baselines that an author may
have to follow include the author, a company, a customer and government
entities.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Depts of Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center
University of Wisconsin-Madison
< <http://trace.wisc.edu/> http://trace.wisc.edu/> FAX 608/262-8848
For a list of our list discussions http://trace.wisc.edu/lists/