From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of David MacDonald
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 10:35 AM
To: 'John M Slatin'; 'WCAG'
Subject: RE: REwrite of 1.1.6

>>>I'm sorry, but I don't understand. SC 1.1.6 (which is what this
discussion is about) requires a single document containing the text of both
the captions and the audio descriptions. As far as I know, this document is
not presented by the media player-- it's completely separate from the
multimedia presentation. There is nothing to turn on or off.

Say there is a server side technology such as PHP, or ASP , Cold Fusion etc
pushing delivery units. Let's say it's pushing HTML pages to a browser. It
pushes a collated transcript. In the top corner of the delivery unit there
is a button that says "hide descriptions". The user hits the button and the
server pushes a delivery unit forward that doesn't have the description.
This would not be a violation of 1.1.6 because there would be a collated
version available.

David MacDonald

.Access empowers people
            .barriers disable them.