    Da: "donaldfevans@aol.com"<donaldfevans@aol.com>
    Inviato: 13/01/06 18.40.44
    A: "rscano@iwa-italy.org"<rscano@iwa-italy.org>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: Re: technique to overcome meaningful link text

    Span works too.  We prefer B because it is 3 characters less then span.  6 characters by the time you close the tag.  When you serve millions of page views, you save every byte you can.

    But I don't agree with the premise that B is a visual element and should not be used simply because it is a visual element.  It's a tag just like all the rest  That's like saying an H is a visual element and shouldn't be used to convey information to a screen reader.

    I would agree that B is not symantic and in xhtml should not be used but rather should be styled in the CSS, therefore; the span is a better choice.  But basically 6 one way and half a dozen the other.

     Donald F. Evans
    donaldfevans@aol.com
    (703) 265-5952