RE: Instructions and team assignments for getting to Last Call

Hi Tim.

Some thoughts

Gregg

"A good test is:
*       Mappable to the specification (you must know what portion of the
specification it tests)

Well. The tests don't test the specification. They only test the technique.
Since they are attached to the bottom of the technique, yes they are
directly mapped to (and connected to) the item that they test.

*       Atomic (tests a single feature rather than multiple features)

Yes - the test is atomic.  It tests only the technique above it.

*       Self-documenting (explains what it is testing and what output it
expects)

Yes - what the test is testing is immediately above it.   the output of the
test is specified in the test section (right after the test process)

*       Focused on the technology under test rather than on ancillary
technologies

Yes - it tests the technology under test (the technique).

*       Correct "

Correct?   Do you mean the test is correct?     I presume all of our tests
will be correct.

Note that there are no tests of the success criteria.    There are any
number of ways to satisfy most of the success criteria.   We always give at
least one way of meeting the success criterion and a way to test that you
have done that technique.

RE 14 test metadata elements

identifier,   --   Covered by Technique Number?

title,   --   Covered by Technique Name

purpose,  --  not needed.  All tests are to test the technique above them

description,  --  provided by process section.

status,   --   Covered by Status of the technique doc that contains the test

specref,  --  not needed.  All tests refer to the technique above them.

preconditions,   -- covered by process?  (what would a precondition be for
us?) (Lets watch this one)

inputs,   --   Same comment as preconditions

expected results,  -- Covered by
version,   --  Hmmmmm.   Should we add??  Covered by release date of
collection?

contributor,  --   covered by copyright/credits at bottom of techniques

rights,  --  covered by copyright statement at bottom of techniques (to be
added later - as soon as we get formal format)

grouping, and   -- no grouping of tests or techniques other than by
collection (HTML,CSS, etc) and that is handled by

seealso.  --   We are looking at whether this should be done or not.  May
put ties to related advisory techniques+tests.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center