Re: SC 2.4.5, meaningful link text

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 12:45:41PM -0600, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> Also - the question is how helpful.  And why couldn't AT be programmed to
> allow users to get information around a link with a simple keystroke for
> those cases where the link all by itself did not give them enough
> information.
Do GUI screen readers make this hard? Under all of the Unix text browsers I
use, and with both braille and speech assistive technologies it's trivial to
read the line containing the link, the lines before and after, etc. As a
result, this has never struck me as a concern. At most it's a couple of
seconds of extra work to read the context. I tend to read the text of
unfamiliar pages anyway, rather than just reading links, so for my usage
pattern the problem rarely arises. With familiar pages I use the "text search"
function of whichever user agent I'm running to get straight to the desired
point without having to navigate to it.

I suspect it's the kind of problem that affects some user agent/assistive
technology combinations more than others, and some people more than others.