Re: [techs] scripts

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:24:17 +0300, Lisa Seeman <seeman@netvision.net.il> wrote:
> > At 08:24 PM 7/17/2004, you wrote:
> > >I think "generally" most accessibility problems come down making text
> > or
> > >text alternative available to user agents, so I can't argue with the
> > >statement that "Generally it's the same stuff that makes other stuff
> > >inaccessible, people are just more likely to do it with scripting".
>
> For example - when does /should new content get the focus? If all new
> content get focus then your screen reader continuously jumps back to
> your silly script that changes images at the top of the page every 10
> seconds. On the other hand if all new content does not get focus then
> how will the user know when important content has been created?

Of course, but focus changes etc. are still parts of other specs.
It's just easier to do with script.

> Also Document.write is a classic way to create illegal code starting in
> the middle of a tag-

I don't see what you mean - you get the same DOM with document.write
as you would've with a particular load of crap created inline - okay
you don't get validation on the doc.write stuff, but you still get
crap.

> maybe that  needs a warning, maybe to recommend
> only use of DOM core.

It's not possible to only use DOM core, they neglected to specify a
number of key things.  Recommending not using document.write is
sensible though.

Cheers,

Jim.