From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Yvette P. Hoitink
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 2:31 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: [2.5] Extra succes criterion (non-urgent)

Hello everyone, it's me again.

Guideline 2.5 says "Help users avoid mistakes and make it easy to correct
them". I would like to add another success criteria. Some forms require you
to start over again if you make a mistake, because the information you
filled in is missing. Especially for people with limited motor functions or
other disabilities that slow their navigation in forms, filling out a form
can be very time consuming anyway. I think we should add a success criterion
to 2.5 to say that where possible you should keep the correct content and
only require the user to correct the mistakes. Since this tells authors how
to create their content, it would have to be a level 2.

Proposal:

Lvl 2 Success criterion:
If a user error is detected in a larger volume of user input, the user can
correct the mistake without having to re-enter the input that already was
correct.

Who benefits:
Individuals with severe physical disabilities often need a lot of time to
fill in forms. If they can correct the mistakes without having to re-enter
all the data, this saves them a lot of effort.

Example 2: a user form with required fields
A user form with required fields checks if the user filled in all the
required fields. If not, the user is presented with the same form and is
informed which fields are missing. The information that was filled in
correctly is still present in the form.

Yvette Hoitink
CEO Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl