From: John M Slatin [mailto:john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 10:29 AM
To: Gregg Vanderheiden; caldwell@trace.wisc.edu; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Jan 29 minutes

Thanks, Gregg.

I understand the logic and agree that we shouldn't get into the
differing legal situations in different countries. I think I would then
propose that we strike the references to competitive gaming and
time-based testing from the following item:

"*        the time limit is part of a activity where timing is an
essential part of the activity (for example competitive gaming or time
based testing) and  time limits cannot be extended further without
invalidating the activity;"

I propose the following wording instead:

*        the time limit is part of an activity where timing is an
essential part of the activity and
time limits cannot be extended further without invalidating the
activity;"

- I think we can leave the reference to "rules of competition" in the
actual guideline (and note that testing is often competitive in any
case, in the US and elsewhere).

John

"Good design is accessible design."
Please note our new name and URL!