From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of lisa seeman
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 1:40 AM
To: 'Wendy A Chisholm'; 'Joe Clark'; 'WAI-GL'
Subject: RE: [4.1] Overview and summary of guideline 4.1

There is one big catch, is that the proprietary technology needs to meet
WCAG 2.0 on _the platform of the users choice_.

When a proprietary technology allows you to meet WCAG but only for users
on using a given operating system (say you have to be on Windows) then
the effect is a lot less accessible then the page was WCAG conformant
using a W3C technology.

Also note that in poorer countries free platforms (read Lynix)are
starting to take off in schools ect. It seems a bit limiting that to
read a website you may need an expensive operating system.

Side note: Someone needs to create an open rapper for API's to the
operating system and platform. I am not sure though that it is the
WAI...

All the best
Lisa Seeman

Visit us at the UB Access website
UB Access - Moving internet accessibility