RE: Price of WCAG attendance in Big Macs (Was RE: "You call that a standard?" and Charter)

The Netherlands - 10 Big Macs per month
Australia - 46 Big Macs per month

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Yvette P. Hoitink
Sent: Tuesday, 4 May 2004 5:12 AM
To: 'WAI-GL'
Subject: Price of WCAG attendance in Big Macs (Was RE: "You call that a
standard?" and Charter)

Gian wrote:

> I, too am from a small company and can add to the discussion
> that the cost of the teleconferences (approx $30 a call) can
> sometimes be prohibitive.  There is very little likelihood of
> me ever attending a face-to-face meeting, unless it is in
> Australia, and I do feel that sometimes I cannot contribute
> as much as I would like due to that fact.

Hi Gian,

You're absolutely right in your remark. I didn't take the telephone
costs
into account in my reaction. My WCAG phone bills used to be around 30
USD as
well, but I now have a new carrier with an introduction offer of 1
eurocent
per minute (about 1.2 dollarcent).

This means the monthly cost of attending the WCAG teleconferences
(estimated
at 8 hours per month) is about 2 Big Macs for me at the moment, or 10
Big
Macs if I used the standard phone company or once the introduction is
over.
I use the number of Big Macs to represent the purchasing power of the
WCAG
monthly phone bill in my country. Big Mac is one of the few products
that is
available in exactly the same composition worldwide, which is why it is
used
often to compare prices.

It would be interesting to compare the number of Big Macs that 8 hours
of
phone calls to the US cost in different countries to get an idea of the
costs involved. I'll start the list:

The Netherlands - 10 Big Macs per month

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands