From: Chris Ridpath [mailto:chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 3:27 AM
To: WAI WCAG List
Subject: Re: [#293] Summary for tables

> Layout tables should have a summary of "".

I agree that all tables should have a summary. But, is it not helpful
for some layout tables to have a summary that describes their layout?
Would people with cognitive impairments find this helpful? Would some
screen reader users find this helpful?

I believe that we've now reached a point in our discussions where user
agents and checking tools can reliably determine the table purpose. User
agents can then have an option of giving the user the layout table
summaries or not.

Chris