Re: CC/PP Re: A single URI

At 12:21 PM +0000 12/20/01, Jim Ley wrote:
>Okay, fulfill this browser scenario, I use a very capable common browser,
>however to meet my accessibility needs, I've prevented certain standard
>elements from performing their "standard" features (DOM 2 focus control
>has been removed for example, focus changes of any kind disorientate me
>(well they annoy).)  CC/PP would have to be fine tuned enough for me to
>describe this - yet the vocabulary posted in the March public draft
>contains no such thing, it contains purely technical information - screen
>size for example - not viewport size but screensize- (Screen size is of
>no use as it says nothing about the viewport, I'm happy to change the
>viewport size as necessary for a site or even the screensize (by
>scaling), but in general I'll have it the size I want.)

So you're saying the framework may or may not be useful, but the
specific vocabulary in the draft is lacking?  That is a far cry from
the idea that the approach is all wrong and it's worthless for
accessibility.

>Where's the vocabulary for me to identify my browsers capabilities and my
>personal preferences in CC/PP it's certainly in nothing published.

Well, for the most part it's waiting to be developed.  Certainly if
WAI participants continue to poo-poo the idea, not much will get done.
When I was active in the working group -- nearly two years ago, now,
when I was quasi-employed by the HTML Writers Guild -- I was waiting
for the framework to be developed far enough that the accessible
vocabularies could be written.

Have you sent your comments to the CC/PP working group?  Are you
a PF member and thus able to see current working drafts and give
authoritative-sounding comments on them?  (You can do the latter
without being part of PF, of course.)  Are you part of the solution?

This discussion would probably best be moved to PF or private
email if you're not part of PF.  Obviously there are going to be
issues that need to be addressed within CC/PP -- nobody is
claiming their first attempt at a vocabulary, without the benefit
of WAI expertise, is going to be perfect.  But the principle is
solid and useful, and not at all the way you have described it.

--Kynn