user needs vs author needs RE: Agenda

since meeting the checkpoint would contradict the purpose of some content. We
should provide examples of where this makes sense, and where it does not.

detail:

These scenarios are all real scenarios, where there is a need perceived by
the author to do things in a way which does not allow every user access to
all the content. So in these scenarios the author is not going to meet all
the requirements we are likely to have for aking content "accessible".

That's fine. This content isn't necessarily accessible. The reasons why it
might not be are encapsulated in the checkpoints the content doesn't meet.
Authors in this situation can choose to make content as accessible as
possible given their other constraints (by meeting all the rest of the
checkpoints, for example) or they can ignore all other accessibility as well.

On the other hand, suggesting that the layout and presentation of a form is a
requirement just doesn't wash. If a form is printed with a fixed layout to
provide a regular secret ballot in an election, then it simply fails for a
person who is blind, and they are therefore deprived of their legal right to
a secret ballot. So the claim that this format cannot be changed doesn't
work - it still fails to meet the requirements. Requiring fixed colours
doesn't work either. Someone with a visual disability has the facility to
change the colouring into black and white, to photo-reverse it, to enlarge
sections, to cut pieces out altogether in order to make it clearer. They are
going to do that if it is possible, and if it is not possible they are not
able to use the content.

In a legal context, the undue burden would be generally in meeting the
specific checkpoint that conflicts with teh needs of some scenario. For
example, if testing people's colour acuity via the Web, it makes sense to
have tests which do rely on the ability to understand content through colour
alone, thus breaking checkpoint 2.1 in WCAG 1.0. This does not provide any
rationale for relying on scripts to make the system work, thus also
failing some other WCAG 1.0 checkpoints, and arguing that the whole thing did
not apply since one part of it presented an undue burden would certainly fail
in Australian law. (I don't know how it would go in US law).

A reporting mechanism, that enabled such an author to explain how they had
met every other checkpoint, and why they argued that a particular checkpoint
did not apply to a situation, would be helpful, especially if we provided
some examples (such as the colour testing scenario) and explained why having
it rely on scripting would still fail WCAG 1.0.

Chaals