RE: Combing checkpoints 1.2 and 1.3

I think there are two seperate axes here.

One is that we need various kinds of equivalent content - 1.1 talks about
text, 1.3 talked about audio, 3.4 talks about audio, graphics, video, and so
on.

The other is that for dynamic content it is important that the equivalents
are synchronised. The highlight that follows the text as it is read aloud,
the audio description that needs to match the dialogue, the captions that
need to be assigned to the speakers and not a speaker or two later.

In WCAG 1.0 we had a general checkpoint requiring that dynamic content had
equivalents that maintained synch, and the specific one for audio equivalents
of video presentation. I think we can easily have just one checkpoint on
synching stuff. Not only is it a fairly one-dimensional topic (although I am
well aware there is a huge amount in it - having to read SMIL 2.0 on
synchronisation parameters, tolerances and error recovery techniques makes
that clear), but there is even an XML language produced by W3C (SMIL) that
deals with it almost exclusively, and explaining the basic principle to
people takes very little time:

Make sure that things happen together if they are different ways of showing
part of the same thing. Otherwise it gets confusing.

So I think it makes sense to put all the synching stuff from 1.2 and 1.3 into
one checkpoint.

Which leaves us with several requirements about equivalence - currently we
have 1.1 for text equivalents, 3.4 for other media equivalents to text, and
the existing single case of audio equivalents for video looking for a home.

I think we can look again at Paul's proposal to combine 1.1 and 3.4 as
general requirement for equivcalent versions, and add audio description of
video as a success criteria. I realise that we don't yet end up with a
perfect checkpoint, and that we could get a lot of success criteria, but
starting to enumerate all the different ones for what is essentially the same
requirement, and work out what things are not useful success criteria, would
be a step forward.

cheers

Charles