RE: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering (fwd)

This is true, but if they distract the user sufficiently that they cannot
actually read the page then they have rendered that page inaccessible to that
user. (The image itself, obviously, is accessible to them, just nothing
else.)

In any event, I think this is a probloem that the technology can and should
solve. The question I really think is important is whether it currently DOES
or whether the "until user agents" requirement has not been met yet. (The
problem is the same for people who are distracted by moving images and for
people who have photosensitive epilipsy - they need a mechanism to stop the
picture.

Charles

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

  At 2:37 PM -0400 2001/7/24, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
  >I don't think that this image is OK, unless the group feels that the "until
  >user agents" part of the checkpoint means it is no onger applicable. It moves
  >at something between 5 and 25 Hz in my viewer, and may preset problems with
  >concentration or photosensitive epilepsy.

  I think objections to "problems with concentration" are specious and show
  a lack of understanding as to how visual communication is supposed to
  work.

  Some things are -meant- to be "distracting."  It is a -design feature-
  that animated banners draw your eye.  They are -meant- to do that, and
  it is the intent of the author that they do so.

  --Kynn