RE: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering (fwd)

Just on this note. I recently demonstrated a simple but nevertheless
effective example of this kind of flickering.
Using DHTML (which is becoming more standardized) as client script, you
can accomplish various kinds of “filters”.

I have encountered gradually more sights which do this as…

a.       An introductory or splash screen to their sight. Quite often
(unlike MOST flash sites) there is no stop. You also cannot stop it by
clicking on the browser stop button. My example used a document click to
stop it and provided the non-animated version. My fear is that as this
gets easier to do many more sites will have stuff like this.
b.       For some reason best known to god knows who, some creators feel
that the site should have a slide show look to it. So as you move from
page-to-page, simple DHTML is used to checker in the next page, or slide
in the next one.
c.       Although not really commonplace yet, I guess these filters will
be used more and more to provide ads and other multi-media features.

Now, I should say that relative to most of you I am very new to the
Accessibility scene and my best skills lie elsewhere, so these may not
be particularly valid points. But nevertheless, hopefully these other
skills will help me bring something to the table :)

Thanks,
Steven

Steven Livingstone,
Author Pro XML 2e and others.