Sv: Multiple interfaces - a concrete example

Hi,

> I'd like to offer a concrete example of a case where multiple interfaces are
> used today in commercial practice, and where a single interface would be a
> worse solution.

In my view this example does not cover the discussion on weather one single system with the user changing things locally is best, or if the designer should create a number of different sollutions from the designers or the designers user profiles at best or any less than that in most cases. In my understanding of this issue we are talking about systems that uses the same media at least for the time beeing, to be specific a web page that has different versions the classic text only idea, or worse newer ways such as taking decitions not known by the user based on the users past actions e.g. by placing a cookie on the machine belonging to the user. The big issue here is in my view if the designers have the time, the ressources and the knowledge to take over the important task of designing a UA that will work for most people. As we agree on designers will design for a scenario meaning an ideal situation with a standardized user with standardized prefferences. As I have argued earlier  I find that I often behave nprodictable and often not rationally. This ensures that even the best user scenarios and the usability tests that are never carried out anyway will not stand a chance to optimize anything close to my realworld situation. Finally user profiles or user scenarios tend to be static and it is not taken into concideration that we live in changing invironments that we have changing needs according to where we are and what we are doing, it is not only the  physical environment that can change rapidly but also the roles we act in. Part of the day you are at work and sometime another part of the day you are acting in other roles, roles that create different information needs.

Claus