Re: What is SVG?

Anne,
You may want to checkout Adobe.  They have down loadable technologies
related to SVG.  They seem to be an important player in the development of SVG.

http://www.adobe.com

Jon

At 07:20 AM 10/31/2000 -0800, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>Jason,
>         Checked out both sites, and couldn't find an example of what SVG
> does.
>Lots of verbage, but no "let me see" ... There is a comparison of a graphic
>in png and svg, which shows svg enlarged nicely next to a png that was too
>small to increase. But the alt tag for the enlarged graphic was "enlarged
>svg", and provided no further information on the graphic. What am I
>missing? Nothing I did on the small svg graphic caused it to enlarge.
>
>     Further, although I've seen png somewhere in my graphics tools, it
>isn't a format I use. I use mostly jpg and sometimes bmp (reduced to jpg).
>Neither of these were mentioned.
>
>     As best I could tell, the only difference between jpg and svg is that
>svg lets you do "something" with a description, but I couldn't see an
>example of what that "something" is. Is it there, and I didn't look long
>enough at the site? (I hate horribly long pages that have to include a
>table of contents!)
>
>Seems it's a long way to go to insure that graphics get alt tags, and a way
>fraught with better choices to do the same thing...
>
>                                         Anne
>
>PS: I'm not a math or an art major and have no idea what the difference
>between vector graphics and raster graphics is ... couldn't get even a
>pinch of a clue by reading the information.
>
>At 11:19 AM 10/31/00 +1100, Jason White wrote:
> >SVG is a graphics format currently under development by W3C. See
> >http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/ for further details, including the
> >excellent note entitled Acessibility Features of SVG:
> >http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/
>
>Anne L. Pemberton
>http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
>http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling
>apembert@crosslink.net
>Enabling Support Foundation
>http://www.enabling.org

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: jongund@uiuc.edu

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund