Re: Len's CSS solution for the text in image problem - will designers adopt?

At 07:00 AM 10/24/00 -0500, Marshall Jansen wrote:
 > Len's solution (this is the mixture of graphics, text, and css to
 > show a parts of the logo as a graphic, and the rest as css, right?) but
 > anyway, Len's solution simply won't be acceptable to the majority of people.

Marshall,

You were copied into the middle of this discussion I guess.

I wasn't trying to use HTML text in  logo.   I agree with you that's a
problem... in fact I may object to it even more strongly than you do, since
I suspect it goes beyond aesthetics, and endangers the logo copyright
(although I'm trying to get a better legal opinion on this).  So I've
advocated all long that logos, especially logos used as trademarks, are
exceptions.

My point is that it's often possible... and many big time sites do this
already... to restrict images of text to logos, and perhaps a few headings
or links that incorporate the logo or the specific logo font... and use
HTML text with commonly available fonts and colors in a manner that
coordinates with the logo.  This presents an overall look that supports the
brand, while maximizing accessibility, and offering other advantages as
well....faster loading,  less web traffic, and easier internationalization
and maintenance.

Len

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/