Re: Are Small Text buttons level 2 compliant

Kynn
Glad you raised that points (really) because I'm sure other people, people
perhaps more shy than yourself, are thinking the same thing.

First of all, the lawyerly position: Doesn't matter what technologies are
available: the guidelines say what they say, so the statement that
something violates a checkpoint is true regardless.

But we can do better than that.

I don't think using a screen magnifier is as good as enlarging fonts.

1. When you enlarge fonts, text wraps at the margins, instead of expanding
into a virtual space wider than the screen (assuming the page was well
designed).    When the virtual page is wider than the screen, you have to
scroll left and right as well as up and down, which makes it harder to stay
oriented.  So enlarging fonts is better.
2. With magnification, user is no longer able to control the font.  Some
fonts are better than others.
3. Some people with low vision need reverse contrast.  If the buttons are
already reverse contrast, then if they reverse the whole screen to read
other body text, the buttons get normal contrast.  So they have to keep
flipping the contrast depending on where they are.
4. Similarly, if all you can do is an overall screen color map, you can't
get all the text, buttons and body, to have optimal color.

In short, direct control of font, size, and color of all text is better
than a magnifier.

As for turning off images to see the alt text versions of the buttons:
well, then the person with low vision is missing other images on the
screen, images which may be used appropriately.

Also, do browsers allow full CSS control of font, color, size of ALT
text?  (I don't know the answer to that one).

Len

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/