Re: Are Small Text buttons level 2 compliant

At 12:08 PM -0400 9/26/00, Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>I don't think it satisfies the user requirements for people with
>some degree of low vision, especially if the font size is relatively
>small.

Devil's advocate position here:

Doesn't the widespread availability of screen magnifiers (such as the
one built into Windows 2000), plus the availability of screenreaders to
read out the textual content, plus the ability to turn off images and
view the text directly (thus scaling with user font changes), reduce
the need for avoiding textual images?

If we don't have to worry about providing audio streams -- because
screenreaders exist -- then shouldn't the existence of the various
technologies listed above likewise ease our fears regarding text
buttons?

We are willing to say "oh, there's technology to deal with -that-"
for a number of items, so where is the line drawn?  (If screenreaders
did not exist, the obligation would be on the web designer to
provide an aural output stream for everything, no?)

--Kynn
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/