Re: Comments on 26 July 2000 WCAG 2.0 Draft

At 01:24 PM 8/14/2000 , William Loughborough wrote:
>IMO (not so humble) the Principles are a nice way to be more general and
>abstract - to speak to the what/why of the matter and leave the how for
>Guidelines/Checkpoints. This avoids casting the document in terms of
>technologies, rather in terms of human needs. Maybe they need to be
>engraved in marble or something, but they need to be there to guide
>creation of guidelines and other more mundane implementations of
>whatever the purpose of all this is: making the Web accessible to
>*everyone*.

I agree with you that the Principles are vitally important and
should be engraved in marble, but I think the name of that marble
is "a separate W3C Note" rather than letting these vague theoretical
guidelines detract from the focus of the WCAG document.

The purpose of the WCAG document _must_ be to tell the web
designer "how to do the right thing".  If they can't figure that
out from a read-through, even if they learn a lot about the very
valuable principles which we all cherish, then WCAG 2.0 will be
useless to them.

Audience, audience.  We have to put the audience first and their
SPECIFIC needs from this document.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                       http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta                  http://www.edapta.com/