Re: Standardized terms

jaap van lelieveld wrote:

> It is good to have explanation of terms (appendix C).
> In the document though "speech" and "brailledisplay" are used
> frequently.
>
> I'd like to propose to use the term "screen reader" unless it
> is explicitly an item on "braille" or "speech".

Can you list cases very specifically where you think
"screen reader" should be used instead of a different term?

> : reading a (windows / GUI) screen is impossible without a scren reader !
> : Intelligent use can only be provided by the screen reader
>   and not by the speech or braille device.
>
> Item 10.1:
> It is mentioned here braille-displays do not have a "pointing device".
> This is not true any more. Nearly ALL today's brailledisplays
> include a pointing / clicking mechnism.
> The problem though is "where to click" instead of "how to click".

Would it be sufficient to delete "(e.g., a braille display)"
from the following excerpt from 10.1:

     "someone who is using the page without sight, with voice
     input, or with  a keyboard or who is using an input device
     other than a mouse (e.g., a braille display) will not
     be able to use the form."

Or should we reconstruct the sentence?

> I'd like to propose to change item 10.1 to indicate it is
> important to:

> - be able to find the click-sensitive area

  I believe this is covered by checkpoint 1.7:

    Povide redundant text links for each active
    region of an image map.

> - make sure a tab-stop is ALWAYS on/in the click-sensitive area
>   (is several cases this is not the case).

  Is this not a user agent issue?

> - make sure it is clear what the click will give you.

  This is covered by checkpoint 15.1:

      Clearly identify the target of each link.

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814