Re: Math and Science

There are two issues related to math in the guidelines.

Issue 1: The specific recommendations on how to author mathematical
representations.

Issue 2: Where will the recommendations appear in the guidelines.
Will there be a  guideline (primary document) directly referencing math, or
will math be mentioned only in the techniques document( examples of how to
do things)?
In the later approach the primary guidelines document would probably have
no mention of math.

Jon

At 12:01 PM 1/25/99 -0900, John Gardner wrote:
>This thread is confusing me.  Maybe it's just the semantics.  I do not
>consider "math" to belong to any particular interest group.  Even
>historians use math on occasion.  Math and scientists use it more, but...
>
>My understanding of the latest conversation is that people writing "math"
>should use mathML.  If they use images instead, they should reproduce the
>math as LaTeX.  Am I correct here?
>
>I have no major problem with this recommendation.  My only concern is that
>authors who don't know LaTeX (e.g. probably most historians) might just
>ignore the recommendation, but if the recommendation were broadened to
>permit words as a less desireable alternative, they might not ignore it.
>
>John Gardner
>

>At 02:41 PM 01/25/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>>I think we identified someplaces where a discussion of including
>>Mathematical content could be included within the Guidelines document. I
>>still don't see a Guideline which relates to Math. Maybe a Checkpoint.
>>
>>Charles McCathieNevile
>>

>>On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>>
>>  I agree that it would become difficult to try to have specific items for
>>  every interest group.  While science is maybe too specific for the current
>>  guidelines, I think at least the issue of math is broader and used by many
>>  groups.  I think at least math should be considered for a guideline.  The
>>  guidelines will be used extensively and I think we want people to get this
>>  item right for the previously stated reasons.  If math is burried in the
>>  techniques document many people may not find the information they need to
>>  do math correctly.
>>
>>  Jon
>>
>>  P.S. By the way charles do you have a history degree?
>>

>>  Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
>>  Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
>>  Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
>>  University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
>>  1207 S. Oak Street
>>  Champaign, IL 61820
>>
>>  Voice: 217-244-5870
>>  Fax: 217-333-0248