Re: Work via the list: role of authoring tools

At 03:34 PM 7/7/2006, you wrote:

>EOWG:
>
>Please continue brainstorming and discussing the questions below on
>this EOWG list.
>
>Draft minutes from today's teleconference are at:
>         http://www.w3.org/2006/07/07-eo-minutes.html#item03
>
>Thanks!
>~Shawn

Microsoft Word 2002.  Need to save as text to avoid embedded
formatting junk, then
fairly easily I can add appropriate accessible markup.

Microsoft Excel 2002  Cannot save in XML because workspace does not
contain any
workspace mappings.

"My product key is invalid, you will need to enter a new one to use
this software."

I"m not about to upgrade, given my frustration with their general
lip-service to accessibility.

At least that transfers me to an alternative:

http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/software/office/

Univ. of Illinois U-C DRES

>1.c. What else could authoring tools reasonably do to significantly
>improve the development of accessible content -- especially things
>that would be fairly easy for authoring tools to do that would save
>developers/authors a lot of work?

Include an "accessibility check" option.

My preference would be link that to the WAI tools so the authors
could find out what to expect
from any particular tool, and be aware of the extensive list of
available tools.

>2. Metaphors for:
>2.a. A few 100 authoring tool vendors spending some effort to
>improve their tools, to help a few *million* developers/authors
>develop accessible content easier and quicker.

>2.b. Improving authoring tools could make a huge difference in Web
>accessibility. (perhaps something like: "change the course of
>history"; or a little rudder changing the course of a large ship, a
>little bit controlling a horse, a little spark starting a huge
>forest fire[1]...)
>
>3. Stats (for 2.a.)
>- Rough idea of the number of authoring tools today?

I doubt there are even 100 "serious" authoring tool developers/vendors.

>- rough idea on the number of people developing Web pages?

Thousands.