Re: Training page -- new draft, please comment

At 06:57 PM 6/8/00 +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
>I find it very densely packed.

I think the "resources and approaches for training" page is especially
densely packed, and so it would be helpful to find some ways to break that
up or present it a little differently, but without scattering the
information onto too many additional pages.

>as you know I prefer the slide resources.
>ie One topic per page unless it is a contents page.

Bear in mind that these aren't intended to be presentation slides. They are
intended to be resource pages, and not too large a set. "Only one topic per
page" may be a good approach for a presentation format, but would make this
set of resource pages more difficult to use by greatly increasing the space
that someone would need to wander through to find information.

>I wonder if we could have a makeover page
>ie before and after, okay lots of them.

Right, we can add a link to the before/after demo site which we are
developing, once that is available.

>shouldn't the styles reflect their audiences, ie business slides are snappy,
>academic ones are dense, student ones have graphics..... i am sure you can
>imagine what I am suggesting.

No, I can't; this set of pages is not the actual training materials, it is
a resource listing of training materials. Over time we can develop and link
to many kinds of training materials, some of which could perhaps have
customizable styles. But we still need a central listing, with a style
that's generic enough to any audience -- which is the purpose of this set
of pages.

?

>and the need to demonstrate kit and software.

Those are resources that we could potentially develop over time.

>I cannot yet get emacspeak working however on jaws as i have it set up, ie
>default-ish the site starts off with a lot of guff about 'bar vertical' that
>does not add to comprehension.

I believe that screen reader users are familiar with the use of bar
vertical as a navbar separator. If that is not the case, would a screen
reader user please reply on that question.

>E.O.W.G. probably sounds better than EOWG, perhaps there is an HTML tag to
>indicate spell rather than read for JAWS?
>
>Way to Go.
>I am looking forward to the rapid development of this area.
>
>Thanks, and keep moving.
>
>jc@signbrowser.org.uk
>jonathan chetwynd
>special needs teacher