RE: ATAG2: Proposal to strengthen SC(was B.1.1.1)

Just trying to seek clarity on the wording--Is there a scenario in which an "authoring tool provides authors with the ability to add or modify web content so that a WCAG 2.0 success criterion is NOT applicable"?  If there is no such scenario, then the condition would be meaningless.

I also wonder how this would apply to WCAG 2.0 2.3.1 success criteria.  For most situation, WCAG 2.0 2.3.1 is about not inserting flashing graphics/video.  Does it mean that the B.1.1.1 applies to the video/graphics production authoring tool only because you can't expect a tool that allows the insertion of graphics/video to make something stop flashing?  If so, then we need to remove "add" in the proposed wording.

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-au-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-au-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Richards, Jan
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:58 PM
To: AUWG
Subject: ATAG2: Proposal to strengthen SC(was B.1.1.1)

Hi all,

This proposal is a response to a discussion Alastair and I recently had about B.1.1.1 being a very low bar (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2010OctDec/0097.html) in which Alastair suggested strengthening it.

The structure is similar to the checking requirement SC(was B.2.2.1)

PROPOSED WORDING:
(was B.1.1.1) Accessible Content Possible (WCAG): If the authoring tool provides authors with the ability to add or modify web content so that a WCAG 2.0 success criterion is applicable, then authors can use the authoring tool to meet the success criterion.
The WCAG 2.0 Level A success criteria are met (Level A); or The WCAG 2.0 Level A and Level AA success criteria are met (Level AA); or The WCAG 2.0 Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA success criteria are met (Level AAA).

CURRENT WORDING:
(was B.1.1.1) Accessible Content Production (WCAG): Authors can use the authoring tool to produce accessible web content (WCAG): [Implementing B.2.1.1] The WCAG 2.0 Level A success criteria are met (Level A); or The WCAG 2.0 Level A and Level AA success criteria are met (Level AA); or The WCAG 2.0 Level A, Level AA, and Level AAA success criteria are met (Level AAA).

--
(Mr) Jan Richards, M.Sc.
jrichards@ocad.ca | 416-977-6000 ext. 3957 | fax: 416-977-9844 Inclusive Design Research Centre (IDRC) | http://inclusivedesign.ca/ Faculty of Design | OCAD University