Re: ATAG 2.0 In-group checkpoint review: A.1.4

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for sending this in...my comments are in-line:

Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the last call I was assigned to review A.1.4 (see message:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2006JanMar/0032.html).
> Here are my thoughts so far:
>
> ----------
> IN GUIDELINES:
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2005/WD-ATAG20-20051216/WD-ATAG20-20051216.html#che
> ck-tool-sep-display-prefs
>
> "Allow the display preferences for the editing view to be changed without
> affecting the document markup. [Priority 1]."
>
> Suggested rewording was available at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2006JanMar/att-0027/12_2005_c
> omment_responses.html
>
> <cite>
> A.1.4 "Allow the display preferences for the editing view to be changed
> without affecting the document markup."  By saying "Allow" this implies that
> the display preferences will change the document markup view and you must
> provide an option to prevent that from happening.  The language should be
> "*Ensure* the document markup view is not changed when the display
> preferences for the editing view are changed."
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2006JanMar/0023.html
> Not exactly - it means don't change the markup of the content to accomplish
> particular display preferences. I could see rewording it as: "Ensure changes
> to the display preferences of editing views do not affect the content being
> edited."
> </cite>
>
> I agree with the proposal to change the checkpoint text with: "Ensure
> changes to the display preferences of editing views do not affect the
> content being edited."

JR: OK

> ----------
> RATIONALE:
> "Authors may require a set of display preferences to view and control the
> document that is different from the display styles that they want to define
> for the published document (e.g. a particular text-background combination
> that differs from the published version)."
>
> I confirm that the rationale text is good.

JR: OK

> ----------
> SUCCESS CRITERIA:
> "The author must be able to configure the presentation settings of editing
> views without affecting the Web content being edited."
>
> The terms in success criteria and guidelines should be harmonized. In the
> guideline we said "changes to the display preferences", and in the success
> criteria we said "presentation settings".

JR: We could harmonize to "display settings", so that the checkpoint and
success criteria would now read:

A.5.1 Ensure changes to the display settings of editing views do not
affect the content being edited."

SC1: The author must be able to configure the display settings of
editing views without affecting the Web content being edited.

> ----------
> TECHNIQUES:
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2006/techs/tech1.html#check-tool-sep-display-prefs
>
> Technique A.1.4-1.1 [Sufficient]: ok
> Providing the author with the ability to change  fonts, colors, sizing
> (zoom), etc. within editing views (or by changing the platform display
> settings), independently of the ability to control the markup that is
> actually produced.
>
> Technique A.1.4-1.2 [Advisory]: ok
> For authoring tools that offers a "rendered view" of a document, such as a
> browser preview mode, providing an editing view that has a presentation that
> can be controlled independently of the rendered view.
>
> Technique A.1.4-1.3 [Advisory]: minor rewording
> Allowing the author to specify a preferred style sheet that will override
> the "published" style of the document in the editing view.
> [i change the word "local" due that a preferred stylesheet could be also
> choose from an external css source]

JR: OK

> Technique A.1.4-1.4 [Advisory]: ok
> Allowing the author to create audio style sheets using a graphical
> representation rather than an audio one.
>
> Cheers.
> Roberto Scano
> IWA/HWG

Cheers,