Fwd: [webwatch] Leaving Out a Name

I am sending this to AU as I understand AU is now the principal point of
responsibility for evaulation and repair techniques.

Here is an example of some checks that will make a big difference in
compliance
with "make sure your page works with scripts turned off.  It has to do with
static checking the integrity of FORMs.

Here is an example of some very bad code that passes the W3C validator because
the relevant rules are not in the DTD.  Have we formalized any checks that go
beyond the DTD in the area of statically executable checks on FORM integrity?
Is this a topic for the current work on techniques?

In this example there is no FORM and hence no ACTION and this is not the
intent.  It should be suspicious from the presence of form controls that there
is no form defined.

Further there is no NAME on some of the checkbox INPUT elements, which
leads to
shortfalls in contol documentation for the non-visual user.  This is a
violation of the specification but not formally in conflict with the DTD.  The
NAME attribute is #REQUIRED on INPUTs of TYPE other than SUBMIT and RESET, but
that is not documented in the formal DTD language but in a comment.

Al

"<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd>http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">