RE: use of meta data to keep track of checks by tools

In the context of an authoring tool I think it is extremely
appropriate. Tools like Word keep large amounts of information about documets
across editing sessions.

In the case of an ER tool it is likely to be more difficult (cookies are
indded a good approach) butit is still very valuable as a service to the
author.

Charles McCN