Re: Checking server-side code

Agreed. And my point was that for some tools,it makes no sense to stop work
at each of a hundred saves in a day, while for others, opr for other working
styles (such as a person who wants to get each piece correct as they add it
rather than wait until the end) it does make sense to do that. There is
nothing that requires this technique in absolute terms, although it would be
one way of easily demonstrating that the requirement is met (a different
question from whether the tool is any good for users...)

Charles McCN

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Marjolein Katsma wrote:

  You are perfectly correct, of course. Even for viewing in an external browser a save is not strictly necessary.
  My point was that some working methods require frequent saves (some other tools than a browser, for instance a links checker, do work only on disk-based files, not on code in memory) - it's not the tool itself that requires it.

  At 10:22 2000-05-19 -0500, Frederick J. Barnett wrote:
  >On stardate 19 May 2000, Charles McCathieNevile sent a subspace communication stating:
  >
  > > The first piece about a prompt at save time is an implementation decision - it
  > > applies to a tool like homesite, which requires another app to preview and
  > > therefore needs the document to be saved, but it is irrelevant to a WYSIWYG tool
  > > in many cases, especially a multi-view, stylesheet capable tool like amaya.
  > >
  >         HomeSite doesn't "require" another app to preview. It does have a builtin,
  >totally separate previewer. You can use IE with it in order to get more
  >functionality, but you don't have to have it. Also, even with IE HS doesn't
  >have to save the document. It can be set to only save a temp file, then preview
  >that. Since the temp file isn't the actual document, a prompt for ALT text,
  >etc., likely wouldn't come up as we're presently discussing a prompt at saving.
  >

  >Frederick J. Barnett                  http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
  >E-mail: fred@eatel.net
  >Member: HWG Governing Board & Assistant Secretary
  >http://www.hwg.org/

  Marjolein Katsma
  HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/
  Bookstore for Webmasters - http://hshelp.com/bookstore/bookstore.html