Re: Checking server-side code

You are perfectly correct, of course. Even for viewing in an external browser a save is not strictly necessary.
My point was that some working methods require frequent saves (some other tools than a browser, for instance a links checker, do work only on disk-based files, not on code in memory) - it's not the tool itself that requires it.

At 10:22 2000-05-19 -0500, Frederick J. Barnett wrote:
>On stardate 19 May 2000, Charles McCathieNevile sent a subspace communication stating:
>
> > The first piece about a prompt at save time is an implementation decision - it
> > applies to a tool like homesite, which requires another app to preview and
> > therefore needs the document to be saved, but it is irrelevant to a WYSIWYG tool
> > in many cases, especially a multi-view, stylesheet capable tool like amaya.
> >
>         HomeSite doesn't "require" another app to preview. It does have a builtin,
>totally separate previewer. You can use IE with it in order to get more
>functionality, but you don't have to have it. Also, even with IE HS doesn't
>have to save the document. It can be set to only save a temp file, then preview
>that. Since the temp file isn't the actual document, a prompt for ALT text,
>etc., likely wouldn't come up as we're presently discussing a prompt at saving.
>

>Frederick J. Barnett                  http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
>E-mail: fred@eatel.net
>Member: HWG Governing Board & Assistant Secretary
>http://www.hwg.org/

Marjolein Katsma
HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/
Bookstore for Webmasters - http://hshelp.com/bookstore/bookstore.html