Accessibility default settings ...

I request a poll or vote to see were the other members of the Authoring
Tools Working Group stand on this issue:

Does an Authoring Tool comply with guideline 3.1 if the default setting of
their accessibility option is set to "no-prompting"?
Assuming:
1) Guideline 3.1 requires authoring tools to "prompt" (confront the user
with a dialog that would allows them to enter alt+text) at some time between
an image being inserted and the document being saved (saving does not
guarantee that the author has finished the editing process but it is the
first time that a user could potentially interact with the page and would
therefore would need to be compliant with Web content guidelines).
2) An authoring tool implements a "configurable" solution (allows authors to
choose/set the level of prompting ranging from no-prompting to force me to
make corrections as soon as an accessibility related error is detected).

Asking the author questions during setup is not a reliable solution since we
cannot guarantee that the author (owner of the computer) has explicit
control over the setup of the computer (computers come pre-installed with
applications, a friend or IT professional could sets up the computer for the
author, a company could perform a silently install/upgrade or lock down the
installation preferences).

I have an outstanding action item to submit a proposed definition for
prompting, but if the majority of the Authoring Tools working group feels
that the answer to the above question is "yes", then I will agree that
authoring tools came comply with guideline 3.1 as currently defined, but
will submit a request to include this example within the techniques
document.

Related comments on this area: