Re: Looking for help to verify a Russian and a Ukrainian translation

Hi Bert,

I've forwarded your question to some of my Ukrainian (and also Russian
speaking) friends. To summarize there findings:

- The text is not an equal translation of the spec, and sometimes
differs significantly and sometimes omits items (like "Selectors level 4
extends level 3 with new ways to select elements. based, e.g., on what
they contain or on what follows." is not translated). I don't know when
the translation is done, possibly it has just gotten outdated.

- Individual words have been misunderstood (example "state of CSS as of
2006" was translated as "строение CSS в 2006", which means something
like "consitution of CSS in 2006" or "structure of...". A better word
would be "состояние" (current state) instead of "строение". This mistake
(state vs structure/constitution) is consequent in the document).

- Sometimes meaning shifts, because equivalent word in Russian/Ukrainian
doesn't have equal meaning in context. Example "Many primarily visual
devices" is translated as "Многие прежде визуальные устройства" means
actually means "Many previously visual devices are...".

- They found some inconsistencies in Russian word endings, but not too
many, and several typos and missing plurals.

- Sometimes, the words make sense individually, but not as a sentence
(as if partially done by a machine translation. We checked, but Google
Translate for instance, provided worse results), for instance, the
sentence "которые являются стабильными и, показанные для работы." was
not understood by them, looks like a word-by-word comparison.

- In general, it appears that the Russian text is better than the
Ukrainian one

- Of course, there are the typical problems with certain terms, i.e.,
"hovering" was translated as "зависания", which means "to hang /
hanging". A better word might be "навести" (ua) or "наведениe мыши".

When I asked them whether the text was understandable as a whole, the
answer was yes. But it could be better. It seems to have not been
proofread by anybody native, contains mostly typos, grammatical and
word-to-word translation errors, but it could be worse.

I've received help of the individuals Andriy Kvasnytsa, Andriy Hapa,
Vitaliy Yudenkov, Vitaliy Mykytenko.

Regards,

Abel Braaksma