Re: finished hebrew translation of web stylesheets homepage

On Tuesday 18 August 2009, Richard Ishida wrote:
> I took a quick look.
>
> The headings are not right-aligned. Bert, do you have a
> text-align:left property set for headings ?

I had 'text-align: left' indeed, but I "internationalized" the style
sheet a bit more this morning. You need to force a reload, because the
cached style sheet only expires after a week, but then you should see
the headings right-aligned in the Hebrew translation.

> Also, I would have expected the local links bar to be on the left,
> and the link text to be right-aligned, and the "Activities Tech.
> reports Translations Software Site index Search" to be alongside it
> (ie. moved to the left).  The W3C icon would be to the right.

That changes the look of the page considerably. It wouldn't be just a
translation anymore. But, as I said in my previous message, this is no
doubt a matter of interpretation and taste. You can ask what is the
Hebrew equivalent of the English page like you can ask who is the
French analogue of the British queen. Does the analogous layout have a
menu on the right? (Is president Sarkozy the queen of France?) Or does
it have a menu on the right? (Is Sarkozy's wife Carla the queen of
France?)

Or maybe the menu should be on the left for countries that drive on the
left? That's where a British driver would expect the menu... :-)

> Similar for the bottom of the page.

I did flip the address at the bottom. I considered that the Hebrew
equivalent of a right-aligned address would be a left-aligned address
(and I flipped the little photo to the left as well, because it needs
to be visually near the text). The address doesn't influence the
overall look of the page too much, so I could do this. I'm not actually
sure it is needed and one argument against it is that I'm looking to
the left in that photo...

> Also "Copyright  © 1997-2008 W3C (MIT, ERCIM, Keio)" needs $rlm; at
> the end or have dir="ltr" applied to the p tag, to make the
> parenthesis appear in the right place.

(I can't do that. It has to be done in the source.)

Bert