Re: The Russian translation of the "How to add style to XML"

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 19:49, you wrote:

> Sorry in advance for being a hassle about it, but your message below and
> the reply you sent to Bert's question are not quite accurate. I wish to
> cast a different light.
> [...]
> It was indeed already translated but I had *not* approved this translation
> and the 2 others that you submitted on 03 August.

I had no information whether it was approved. Sorry.

> I wanted to make sure that all three had an appropriate disclaimer,
> conforming to:
>    http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620#translate
> [[
> Prominently disclose in the target language the following 3 items:
>
>     1. the original URL, the status of the document, and its original
> copyright notice.
>     2. that the normative version of the specification is the English
> version found at the W3C site.
>     3. that the translated document may contain errors from the
> translation. ]]

All these original texts come without any notes on status and copyright. I can
include such notes if you specify them. As for clauses 2 and 3 I have carried
out them as well as original URL. For example:

 Перевод может содержать ошибки.</p>

(See the page's footer)

> Also all 3 of your translations were using a style sheet that is very
> different from the original documents and I find this misleading.

I don't plan to work on big Russian mirror for W3C Style site, so it will be
redundant for me to maintain special styles for translations. (I'd prefer to
spend my time on work with texts.) I can't just link to original files at
w3.org --- for example, there are a "Local links" generated text which needs
to be translated. And I can't maintain synchronized copies of
http://www.w3.org/Style/*.css in case of possible changes in style of
original English pages.

Also I need some special stuff. Namely, I need to use U+2014 "em dash" symbol
(instead of "disc" / "circle" / "square" from CSS 2) in unordered lists
markup --- it is required by traditional Russian typography.

The current style / markup of my pages is valid, light and accessible, so I
don't see any reasons to use something else (except requirement to look like
http://www.w3.org/Style/).

> I am sorry to say, but as far as I am concerned, your translations are not
> ready to be used.

I think that I follow all legal requirements. As far as I know, the
presentation style is not legally bounded.

--
Alexey Beshenov <al@beshenov.ru>
http://beshenov.ru/