Re: Is the New List Possible

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> We also have, on our site, a primitive glossary system. We use that to
> collect terms so that we can try to agree on translations of jargon.

That's exactly what I had in mind for French translators when I set up
the wiki at http://palaci.fr/cgi-bin/w3c/wiki.pl and the list of
prefered terms at http://palaci.fr/cgi-bin/w3c/wiki.pl?TermesPreferes
(based on the glossary Karl Dubost built in 2001).

I really think we need that kind of tool to unify the jargon used in the
different translations.

> This
> means we need to think about how we handle glossaries at some point - the
> W3C glossary approach is on a per-spec basis with multiple different
> entries  for the same term, whereas we would like to have basically one
> per term. When we move to a SKOS-based system like W3C's this becomes an
> issue...

I wanted to build such a system. The one at sidar.org is maybe primitive
but it's much more handy than what I quickly did on the wiki ;-) Now I'm
affraid I won't have enough free time in the near future to get further
involved in this project :-/

Yet, I'd be very interested in hearing about these glossaries issues.
Please keep us informed!

Francois Palaci

--
http://palaci.fr