Re: Is the New List Possible

Hi Alexander,

This seems like a good idea. Sidar has had a translators' list for a
number of years (that was how I first got actively involved in it :-) for
spanish/portuguese translators covering most of what you suggest. Not
everyone uses it, but the value comes from some of us being able to use it
together.

We also have, on our site, a primitive glossary system. We use that to
collect terms so that we can try to agree on translations of jargon. This
means we need to think about how we handle glossaries at some point - the
W3C glossary approach is on a per-spec basis with multiple different
entries  for the same term, whereas we would like to have basically one
per term. When we move to a SKOS-based system like W3C's this becomes an
issue...

We have actually used yahoogroups (as it is now) for our list. There are a
number of reasons why we don't think it is ideal, and it is certainly way
inferior to W3C's list management tools (and the work put into them by W3C
systems wizards). But I think it was a reasonable compromise at the time.
If you have someone in the group of russian translators who can run a
better mail archive, that might be preferable.

(If W3C does have the resources to offer this it would be a great service.
But I am also aware of the load put on W3C just to run its own
latin-character mailing lists where they can read the traffic and work out
what is going on at any given time, make announcements in the right
language, ...)

just my 2 cents worth.

cheers

Chaals