Re: renewal of the W3C Translation pages

Hello translators, Ivan, Martin,

2003-05-09T16:05:42Z Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> we have renewed the translation pages of W3C at
> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/. This is not only a facelifiting,
> but a change in the way we manage translations. Until now, the various
> lists of translations were kept up-to-date by hand. From now on, all data
> on translations are collected and stored on our site in RDF, which allows
> us to generate automatically various 'views' of the data, eg, lists of all
> French translations or of all the translations of XML1.0. Note, however,
> that at this moment only the translations of Recommendations, and of
> documents like WAI Quick Tips, W3C in 7 points, etc, are listed.
> Translations of various W3C notes and of candidate/proposed recommendations
> are not yet in the database, but will be added soon. As new translations
> come in (through the translator's mailing list) the RDF data is updated.
> (For the time being this is a manual update, we are working on a more
> automatic method of doing so.)

This renders the previous list for Russian translations obsolete.
It's a pity the page is no longer needed while it's a pleasure to see
the results of your work. I hope to see an automated service for
keeping a list of translated terms one day. :)

The translations of CRs/PRs/Notes are not listed yet, thus I will keep
the list at w3.hotbox.ru in the meanwhile.

> Some of you maintain your own list for, eg, all Russian translations of W3C
> documents, or of all available translations of a particular W3C document.
> You should consider using the new facilities to maintain those lists,
> instead of maintaining the list yourself. We offer various possibilities to
> do that:

> - you can simply refer/redirect to a full XHTML page on either a language
> or a list of translation of a particular technology. Of course, you have
> then no control over the output format... ;-)
> - you can invoke a script returning an XHTML fragment that you can include
> in your page (either on-the-fly through a server side include when
> applicable, through some regular automatic update of your own pages, etc)
> - if you want to manage RDF directly, you can also invoke a script that
> would return the relevant RDF information (in an XML encoding) (B.t.w., the
> full RDF data is also public).

I believe the second and the third options are quite useful, and we
should be able to employ them at a stable location, such as
w3.xmlhack.ru.

> There is a more detailed description of the techniques used, as well as the
> right URI-s to invoke the various scripts or to get access to the RDF
> files, in:
> http://www.w3.org/2003/03/Translations/Overview.html.

> Comments, ideas, feedbacks, etc, are welcome
I have a number of typographical corrections for Russian entries, I'm
gonna send them later.

Alex.
--
  Alexander "Croll" Savenkov                  http://www.thecroll.com/