Re: Russian explanations

Hello Alexander,

At 22:07 01/07/02 +0400, The Croll wrote:
>Hello dear Sirs!
>
>Special greetings go to Martin Duerst:-)
>
>I'm sorry to say I was tired of waiting for your permission to translate
>"XML in 10 points".
>In fact the translation already existed when I sent the very first letter.
>That's why I was angry not to receive the answer for so long and I decided
>to publish this thing with your permission or without. Sorry again. I hope
>this is not a big problem, because you are good enough to let me have it
>on the end.

It's not really a big problem. But in general, we very much prefer
to receive another request (everybody is buisy, and so sometimes
some mails get overlooked). You don't have to wait for two weeks
for that.

>Well, I decided to keep the page for Russian translation in English and in
>Russian.
>As you may know the addresses are the following:
>HTTP://TheCroll.Narod.Ru/W3C/Consortium/Translation/russian.html for
>English version and
>HTTP://TheCroll.Narod.Ru/W3C/Consortium/Translation/russian-ru.html for
>Russian one.
>
>I think you have already realized that the structure under "W3C" is the
>same with your site. I copied the needed icons, stylesheets etc. without
>any link translation so everything should be identical. I hope this is not
>prohibited. And the same is used for translations I made and I'm gonna make.

I have looked at the pages. They look quite nice in general.

But the advertisement is really bad, just in general and even
more so because it overlaps with the W3C icon (at least on my
browser). I think there should be a sentence at the top that
tells the reader who provides this nice service, but on the other
hand makes clear that this is not part of W3C. I just haven't
thought up a good wording yet. Joseph, do you have any idea?

The validator icon can be copied, but the W3C icon should be
referenced directly. Please see
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/logo-usage-20000308.

Also, I would add a link from the Russian to the English version
and back. It's very nice to have both versions!

Personally, I would put the finished translations at the top, but
the order is completely up to you.

>I made the corrections in the above-mentioned docs and have uploaded them,
>so you can check if everything's correct.
>But I need an explanation for the following:
> >- Indicate the date of the original to which your translations
> >   correspond, and say that the original may change (this is
> >   necessary because the original documents don't have dated
> >   URIs).
>
>Where do you want me to put the date to which my translation correspond
>(XML in 10 points?)?

I think at the bottom is okay. It's a short document.

>Where do I have to say that the original may change? I mean at the page
>with Russian translations listed or at every translation I'm gonna make?

On the translation itself. This is only for documents not on the TR
page (for which you need an explicit permission). The documents
linked from the TR page contain their own dates, and each dated
document doesn't change.

> >I found that this already exists at
> >http://thecroll.narod.ru/W3C/XML/1999/XML-in-10-points
>
>Well, I have talked about this already
>
> >but this gets served as text/plain, so that many browsers
> >just show the page source. (please see e.g.
> >http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fthecroll.narod.ru%2F
> >W3C%2FXML%2F1999%2FXML-in-10-points).
> >At least it's text/plain;charset=windows-1251, so the
> >Russian is readable in the source. But please change it
> >to text/html;charset=windows-1252. Thank you.
>
>Hmm, I put 'type="text/html"' to the anchor at the page where translations
>are listed. To tell you the truth I just don't understand what do you need
>the page source for... Anyway, tell me what to do.

I do NOT want the source. But my browser insists on displaying the
source, because the HTTP header says text/plain;charset=windows-1251
instead of text/html;charset=windows-1251. So you have to change
the server settings.

I don't know how to do that with your server
(Server: Microsoft-IIS/0.92 (OS/360) ASP/7.315.0284 CJK support)
but I guess that if you change the document name to include .html,
it will work.

>P.S. Will you please perephrase the following (for W3C in 7 points): W3C
>leads the Web to its full potential. There's NO Russian equivalent for
>that phrase. I'm working on this for 4 (four) days now! Please help.

Here in Japan, we have been thinking about a good translation for more
than 3 years, and are still not happy :-(. And I have heard similar
things from other languages. I think the basic idea is that W3C is working
on making the Web better, because there are still many things that
can be improved a lot.

Regards,   Martin.