Re: Validator problems

[ Note: The former part of this message would be more appropriate for
  the www-validator list rather than the w3c-translators list, so I'm
  moving to www-validator ]

Croll <kroll_@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You stand for the Web internationalization, but how
> can it be reached, if no support for my language is
> available?
> For example, I tried to validate my page (it was in
> russian and the lang and xml:lang attributes were "ru"
> which satnded for Russian)
> but the validator said to me it is an "invalid
> language"! Is it?

Could you show us which page you were trying to validate?

Although internationalization/multilingualization/localization support
in the validator is still rather weak, I don't think "language" is
that relevant, as far as SGML/XML validation is concerned.  At least,
the validator doesn't check the validity of language codes, as far as
I know.

Character encoding would be more relevant to perform the correct
validation, and I suppose the validator can validate documents
encoded in ISO-8859-5 (by chance), but will not work well with
documents encoded in KOI8-R, windows-1251 or KOI8-U.  Which
character encoding are you using for your page?

"Add support for more character encodings" is among the to-do list
for the validator, and I hope this will be improved soon (as some
people have already provided patches for this ...).

  cf. http://validator.w3.org/todo.html

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org