Re: French

Hello Patrick,

Many thank for your anouncement. I'm writing back in
English because some of the people on the cc line don't
understand French.

Congratulations to the translation at
http://babel.alis.com/web_ml/xml/REC-xml.fr.html.
I will be very glad to add a pointer to it from the XML
home page as soon as I get to it, and as soon as you have
fixed a few points:

Please add the required text, in the required form
according to http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ.html#translate,
at the beginning/end of the translation. For a very good example,
please e.g. see http://www.mintert.com/xml/trans/REC-xml-19980210-de.html.
When you do that, please make sure to put the translators
into that section.

Regarding the translated grammar at
http://babel.alis.com/web_ml/xml/REC-xml-gramr.html, this
also looks very interesting and useful. However, it does give
the impression of being (the translation of) an official W3C
document, which it isn't. Please immediately add an appropriate
disclaimer, and contact us privately to figure out what we can
do about this.

Also, thanks for sending this anouncement in French; this made
me aware that we probably have to change our FAQ slightly.

With kind regards,   Martin.

At 11:24 99/02/10 -0500, Patrick Andries wrote:

> Appel aux r$BqW(Jiseurs.
>
> Bonne nouvelle : le premier jet de notre traduction d'XML 1.0 est maintenant complet !
> Le r$BqT(Jultat est visible en <http://babel.alis.com/web_ml/xml/REC-xml.fr.html>.
>
> La grammaire, maintenant compl$BoU(Jement traduite, se trouve sur
> <http://babel.alis.com/web_ml/xml/REC-xml-gramr.html>.
> Le texte est maintenant beaucoup plus lisible avec la grammaire
> traduite. Par exemple, on peut dire $B%)(J Le Nom dans une D$BqD(JlEntit$Bq(Jest... $B%5(J
> comme l'anglais, au lieu de devoir dire $B%)(J Le nom (Name) dans une
> d$BqD(Jlaration d'entit$Bq(J(EntityDecl) est...$B%5(J
>
> Une proposition de terminologie a $BqH(Jalement $BqUqqM(Jabor$BqF(J voir : <http://babel.alis.com/web_ml/xml/termino.html>.
> Nous avons contact$Bq(Jquelqu'un au W3C pour savoir o$B‘(Jirait cette traduction.
> P. A.
>

> >From w3t-tech-request@w3.org Thu Feb 11 01:34 JST 1999
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:38:02 +0100
> From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
> To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E5kon?= Wium Lie <howcome@w3.org>
> CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, w3t-nerd@w3.org
> Subject: Re: tables for layout on W3C tech report title pages?
> Sender: w3t-tech-request@w3.org
>
> (note: removed www-html-editor@w3.org since I don't know where it goes)
>
> H$BiL(Jon Wium Lie wrote:
>
> > DL should be reserved for definition lists, e.g. glossaries. Strictly
> > speaking, the title page has no definition list.
>
> Correect
>
> > E.g., the *term*
> > "This version" is not defined by the string/hyperlink "http://.....".
> > And, the *term* "Authors" is not defined by "Hakon Lie". True, "Hakon
> > Lie" may be the author, but the *term* "author" has significance
> > beyond someone's name.
>
> Right. Hakon does not *define* the author. Hakon is an instance of
> author, for this document.
>
> > The table element does not come with any implied semantic.
>
> Yes it does; it comes with the semantics of rows and columns. So, using
> it for layout (eg, image slicing) is table abuse. Lets look at Hakons
> table to see if it is a real table or an abusive table.
>
> Each row describes a particular item of information (it is a tuple).
>
> Latest version has this URI.
> Current version has this URI
> Last version has this URI
> Editor is this person-list
> Author is this person-list
>
> Now lets do it by columns. The first column is a status, title,
> something like that. The second column is - erm, two different sorts of
> things.
>
> Lets split that into two tables.
>
> The first table has
>
> Latest version has this URI.
> Current version has this URI
> Last version has this URI
>
> The second table has
>
> Editor is this person-list
> Author is this person-list
>
> OK that is better. The first table is a spec version table. Each row
> [...]

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org