Re: About file html40-errata.html

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:

> Mr. Diodati,
>
> I spoke with the some of the W3C team including management and our continued
> policy is that translation should be literal, including errors. However, you
> may also translate the errata page.

The following is my opinion and does not represent W3C policy:

When translating a technical document, I think translators should stay
as close to the text as they can since (I don't feel as strongly
about translating non-technical documents). However, I don't think
it makes sense to translate recognized editorial errors, i.e., those
that the original authors have clearly listed on the errata page.
If we wrote "the the" by mistake, French translators should not
have to write "le le" and translate the errata sheet to read "Le
texte d'origine contient par erreur 'le le'".

The HTML 4.0 errata sheet is clearly divided into two sections:
stupid editorial mistakes on one hand and editorial or semantic
ambiguities on the other. I think translators should be allowed
to eliminate the first class of errors, perhaps
with a note in the translation stating that the error was corrected ;
the erratum itself should not be translated. For the second class
of errors, translators should leave the spec as is and point to
a translated errata sheet. In the latter case, it makes sense
(and is important) to provide a translation of the semantic error.

Please note that I am only referring to errors that the authors and
Working
Group members have identified as errors.

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs / 401 Second Ave. #19G / New York, NY 10010 USA
Tel/Fax: (212) 684-1814          Email: jacobs@w3.org