Re: HTML40 specs' copyright notice

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/ - under "Available languages":

"The English version of this specification is the only normative
version. However, for translations of this document, see
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html40-updates/translations.html."

My interpretation of "No right to create modifications or deri-
vatives is granted pursuant to this license" is that the English
version referred to above shall not be modified in any way, and
that it is _the_ specification that governs.  It does not prohibit
creation of translated versions.

IMHO, a true and accurate translation of the English version of
the HTML 4.0 Specification upholds the above because it will
convey the exact idea/message intended by the original specifica-
tion to a given non-English target audience - neither more nor
less than the original _normative_ English version.

-- Alfredo Alvarenga