Re: SD5 - Namespaces

At 11:14 21/5/97 -0400, Steven J. DeRose wrote:
>At 09:09 AM 05/21/97 +0100, Martin Bryan wrote:
>
>>The SGML way of saying that an element belongs to a different namespace than
>>that provided by the base DTD is to precede the element name by the name(s)
>>of the doctypes it does conform to in the form of a name group qualifier to
>>the element name, e.g. <(CML)MOL> and <(MathsML)EXPR>. If it is relevant in
>>more than one DTD you just say so, e.g. <(HTML|MYDTD)P>. I don't really see
>>much point in defining a new syntax for all this.
>
>Wellllll, almost. The behavior is a little different because each DTD
>applicable in a CONCUR document must fully cover the document instance,
>right? This is not quite the same as saying "once I'm in this piece, this
>other DTD applies" -- and it's not at all trivial to paste a chunk from one
>DTD into another document and get it all to parse right with CONCUR, *even*
>if you have already put "(dtdname)" into all the tags first.
>
>(Martin, remember I'm one of those who quite *likes* CONCUR -- I just don't
>think it completely solves this particular problem).

I wasn't suggesting CONCUR as a possible solution - just that SGML already
has a format for attaching name space identifiers to element names using
name groups. I don't see why this mechanism should not be extended rather
than introducing the :: separator into tag names.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/