Re: SD1 - Short End Tags [fmt]

At 16:58 1997 05 17 +0900, Weichel Bernhard (K3/EES4) wrote:
>I am highly supporting the proposal of Short End Tags.
>

>> ----------

No, this is the whole point.  It is not always necessary for a simple
(e.g., Perl script) application to keep track of such things given a
well-formed XML instance.  "Safe" parsing is not relevant except for
applications that are expected to be able to handle erroneous documents,
but the whole point is that most XML processors [in fact, all XML
processors according to the draconian error handling stance] can assume
correct input and so don't have to tiptoe around to be "safe."

> Therefore, a
>simple search for the
>endtag would not fulfil the requirements of an XML-parser.
>
>Anyhow, if one wants to look for the matching endtag, it is simply a
>counter reflecting the
>actual number of open elements. I don´t think its too difficult.

True if you are counting open elements, but why should a perl script
be required to do that?

>To be honest, who will deals with the raw XML files? Take an XML-editor
>who inserts GIs in endtags.
>Write a simple tool that does this. Use SPAM ...

Sure, it's easy for a parser to insert GIs in endtags.  But XML is
supposed to be easy for the lightest weight of applications.  Why
should the perl script be forced to be prefaced by a SPAM application?

I'd turn it around and say if space/transfer volume savings is so
important, use short tag names and compression schemes.  Compression
and decompression are much simplier, smaller, and more ubiquitous
applications than XML-parsing, GI-inserting applications.

paul