Re: Link-5: Extended Contextual Links

At 11:38 18/5/97 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>We have a problem as to what's a resource and what isn't.
>Here's the problem... is the word 'tesuji' a resource of this link?

I don't believe that calling it a separate resource helps. It is part of the
resource that contains the links. If its container, X, had an ID then it
would be a named part of a resource. (For Topic Navigation Maps we would
need to add an ID to extended linkss to allow us to address the contents.)

>What we need to do, I think, is to say either that:
>(1) another locator as described above is required, or

This is the wrong approach - the content is a clue to the fact that there
are sources of information related to a particular term/phrase

>(2) any content of extended linking elements that is not a locator
>    element is to be treated as a resource.

This is the correct approach. This should be done simply by
allowing/encouraging the naming of extended link elements.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/