Re: SGML WG status

Jon Bosak writes:
> As soon as we get around to it (the ERB is a bit slowed down right now
> with this week's ISO WG8 meeting and next week's SGML Europe
> conference), the group that is now called the SGML Working Group (this
> mailing list) will become the XML Interest Group, or Special Interest
> Group if a request of mine is approved, and what is now called the
> SGML Editorial Review Board will become the XML Working Group.

Does this mean that those in the ERB who are not paying members of the W3C
will be relegated to the Working Group, as they haven't paid to participate
in the W3C process? I mean, that's the reason companies pay the big bucks
to participate, right? This isn't the IETF. IOW, I like Jon's process more
than what I envision happening with the proposed changes, which devalues
the current working group, composed of mostly non-W3C members. I see an
awful lot of valuable comment from those non-W3C members.

> [...]
> | What is the long-term agenda, and is that agenda on our agenda or is
> | it up to the W3C members?
>
> It's up to the W3C member organizations.  It always was, but they
> weren't paying attention.

Well, I hope that they decide it is in the best interest of the W3C members
to continue to value the contribution of the Interest Group (nee Working
Group).

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML Grease Monkey                    <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
Sun Microsystems, 2550 Garcia Ave., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94043 USA
         "Give a monkey the tools and he'll build a typewriter."